Saturday, February 2, 2013

Can We Get Some Appreciation?

Black History month. It’s not something that I get especially excited for, but I am proud to be black—a black woman to be specific. Being black in America is not easy. Racism is still (will forever be) alive and well. I am thankful for people like MLK and Rosa, Malcom and Sojourner, and so many others who fought for many of the privileges that I get to enjoy.
What hurts is that people like Tyler Perry don’t always depict us (black people) in the best light. Do I think he hit the nail on the head with For Colored girls? Yes, but you can’t forget all of the other movies like Diary of a Mad Black Woman that really makes me question how my people are depicted.
This might not have bothered some folks, but if you watched Saved By The Bell go with for a minute. Lisa Turtle, the only black woman, was always being chased by Screech. Screech was the nerdiest guy in the show who had loved Lisa since kindergarten.
There’s an episode where Zack, the main character, starts to fall for Lisa. However, because Zack is best friends with Screech, he [Zack] decides not to pursue her. What kind of crap is that?! Why can’t she get the hunk?
Alright. That’s just one example. In another episode, she spots this attractive guy in the hallway at school, asks him to the senior dance and he says yes. Well, soon after Kelly (another main character) eavesdrops and finds out that the guy Lisa asked to the dance is only a freshman. I completely understand that the show has to have some kind of plot, twist and turn, but why on Earth could she not shine in the boyfriend light for one minute? Everyone else has relationships during the show, but not her. Coincidence? I don’t think so.
I recently got into the show Scandal and Kerry Washington is undoubtedly in a class by herself. Although she knows how to handle any situation that comes her way, she’s the president’s mistress. See what I mean?
Outside of tv shows and movies, there’s also the sports realm. Serena Williams was recently made fun of for her body. She’s built like an Amazon and knows how to win, so I don’t see the problem? Her story is one to be admired: to come from nothing and become MORE than just someone who plays tennis. She’s won in and outside the country and multiple times FOR the country. I don’t know about you, but I think that deserves our respect. Our comments and opinions are null and void.
My point is that black women are not highlighted in entertainment, whether it’s sports, movies, tv shows, etc.; we’re actually overlooked. People know we exist, but there’s not enough people appreciating what it is we do and who we are. I would not trade being a black woman for the world!! I’m different and that’s what makes my black beautiful

@epiphane
@trualityradio
Www.trualityradio.com
Listen to the show live 7-9pm
On www.listen2diamond.com


No comments:

Post a Comment