Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#1 We Arrive to Chicago 6:30am CST



"Ay, Hotehhhhhhhhp are you up?"

"Yeah...mmmmhhh....I'm up."

"Look we're here."

Eyes squinted. Opening. Groggy. So I’m looking at huge buildings under a dark blue sky. Lights blurring past me as I’m leaned back in the cramped back seat of the car. Cramped because of Lorenzo’s luggage and Chuck Deuces’ borrowed guitar from Josh back home in Pittsburgh. Texting my Daddy. Texting Proppa Ezrakation like "We made it." I roll my ankles only to be reminded...Dang~!I travelled to Chicago, drove 2-3 hours, then stopped for food, then rode in the back for 4 more hours, with thigh-high, platform, silver-buckled all black stilettos. *snap* AND WORK! I’m not sure what about a "7 hour car ride" made me wear these, but I was like…too tired to change I suppose. Shoot I wasn’t complaining.  We made it just like we said we would.

My fro was tuft under my green Argosy University hoodie and we all buried our faces in our phones. CD was only hittin the GPS on red lights. I’ll admit I could have had his back a little more on where the hell we were going. I don’t know what Lorenzo was doing in the passenger seat but it didn’t have anything to do with finding a hotel. Aight maybe it did, but we struggled nonetheless. Yes. We were looking for a hotel at now, 6:45am. Yup that’s the Tru Crew for you! The thing is, we actually planned to do this. We said, “We’ll find one when we get there.” And of course, we did…eventually. The Congress Plaza Hotel was called, confirmed, and affordable. Now…Where to park?

What are you crazy? You cannot park in Chicago for anything less than a clean chop from your elbow joint
or a slice from the at least the knee down. They wanted blood to park in Downtown Chicago.

The sign says, “$12.00 for the first 15 minutes.”

Chuck Deuce says, “Fuck it. We’re in Chicago!”  

Like..yo…I feel you bro…and everything…but like… look…see in Pittsburgh we pay $15 for the whole day and fa real, fa real? I’ve never paid $15 for a whole day of parking in Downtown Pittsburgh. Like…I’ve seen the lots and aythang but uh. I ain’t never really park there, you know?...Man we had to brace ourselves for the highway robbery that is Chicago’s prices in comparison to Pittsburgh. I tried to stop Red Kapps but he was on a mission in my whip. He paid it like he was ballin and me Lorenzo knew it’d be our turn next.

We pulled into the John Hancock Bulding and stepped into the elevator. Attempting to remember our lot # in this enclosed heated garage….I know right? We came out into an office building foyer and Deidre was sent from the gods to welcome us to Chicago. She whipped out that tour book so quick we wasn’t even ready to take notes. She’s doing morning calisthenics in her physical demonstration of how we were going to walk out of here to get the hotel we “found” to stay in.

“Oh y’all far on the other side of town. You might as well take the bus. Now you’re going to need an all day bus pass. That’s at the Walgreens, right down the block...well maybe two blocks...but you'll see it. Then go to the Loyola University to get your stub stamped for 10 hours." WORD! Stretch that $12! Okay?! Then catch the bus straight down. Like STRAIGHT down the opposite direction to get to your hotel. Then you’re good.” We thanked her and told her why we came.

"I'm a mime, and I'm auditioning for America's Got Talent...Ten years...yes ma'am. Oh, I'm ready. He's going to sing."

Red Kapps, "Yeah, the guitar's in the car."

"Awe okay well look atchyall!

“Ms. Deidra, your short cut is sharp!” I had to mention.

“Oooh girl please.”

She pats the nape of her neck with her head down looking over her glasses. She’s about 48 and rockin the
Regina King look. I knew that my boots were a little disconcerting so I wanted to make sure she knew these dudes wasn’t my pimps. We chatted and I gave her the professional sister tone. You know the one we use.
I grabbed someone's, anyone's elbow as we slid our way across the comical slush party Chicago weather threw us for our arrival. Oh yeah, we made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment