Sunday, February 24, 2013

Catfish?

Catfish is MTV’s new hit show. Nev (the creator) helps people who have been conversing with someone online finally meet. However, most of the time the people are not who they say. They have either made up their profession or used a picture of someone else and the list goes on and on. Although the show has stolen my heart, there are some deeper issues here that I’d like to bring to the forefront.
Image is everything. The clothes you wear, how your hair is styled, what car you drive and all the way down to who you know, not what you know. Therefore, if I’m online trying to get to know someone and my looks are not up to par, why not go to Google or Facebook and use a picture that is going to get me some attention. We all want it [attention], right? Attention is what everyone is striving for no matter what the cost; negative or positive, attention is what gets people noticed and sadly, that’s become the new American dream.
The question then becomes, Why don’t you love you? If you don’t love you, no one can love you. You must first love yourself. That’s just how it goes. I’m going to contradict myself at the same time and say I do think there is some truth to Ne-Yo’s line “Let me love you, until you learn to love yourself.” I think that if someone actually loved what you didn’t like about yourself, you may see the beauty in that flaw or blemish.
Just something to think about.

@epiphane
@trualityradio
7-9pm est thursday
Www.listen2diamond.com

1 comment:

  1. Very wise concept Epiphany Girl! thanks for sharing. I do watch catfish...and It truly does not do it for me! it doesn't address the tru twisted victim who made up the profile. They barely dig into WHATS freaking wrong w/ the person! there's something deeply wrong if they are lying to everyone around them. I was on a blind date recently....no for real! He was referred to me by a good friend and I heard his voicemail on my phone. I loved his energy I can tell so much thru tone and timing of another voice. We connected and we talked and chatted and texted. I could tell that I didn't care what he looked like...Our minds had connected. my mind could forgive any physical flaws because he passed the cerebral test! When we met I turned my bck faced him so I could hear his familiar voice. I turned around and he was fine! because I had no expectations...besides the fact that he's black!

    I have fallen in love online before. I didn't see my guy for 6 years before I drove to Virginia to meet him. We are STILL friends to this day. 10 years since black planet But...I wonder..

    How dedicated is the seeker...or the catfish victim to finding true love? They don't feel they deserve proof before locking their heart in. I dunno...we all think we would be wiser than these ppl but they could be just as twisted as the one they met online...

    They brought that catfisher into their OWN life for reason...I hope they learned their lesson...because it will happen again if they didn't

    Non-love of self attracts other non-lovers of self.

    ReplyDelete